Monday, May 14, 2018

Really Terrible Cheeze

WOW! How has it only been four years since I was blogging on here? That's just mind-blowing!! Four years ago I was still married, living in another city, everything was different. That life is completely unrecognizable to me now.

So anyways, before I get onto the main topic, which is the really, really terrible vegan cheeze I tried, here are the bullet points to bring you up to date.

  • I got divorced
  • I moved out on my own in Pittsburgh and did this for about 2 years
  • I dated a huge jerkwad
  • I got sick of said jerkwad, quit my job and moved back home to Ohio to be near my family
  • I worked at OSU - The James for a time (only part-time though)
  • I got another job that is full-time, I still get to work in oncology, great benefits, easy commute, AH-MAH-ZANG
  • I have a boyfriend who I am quite fond of, and he is NOT a jerkwad 
  • I went from being Vegan to Gluten Free to Paleo to Gluten Free again
  • I ate a huge rack of ribs while simultaneously contracting norovirus, which caused me to be violently ill for 24 hours and it took me two weeks to fully recover. 
  • Due to the Garcia Effect, I now can't even stand the thought of any meat and have come full circle.. back to Vegetarian.. mostly Vegan. 
What a ride man, what a ride. 

Like I said, unrecognizable. 

AND NOW, onto the point of the post. I like to keep track of various vegetarian and vegan products that I try so that, due to my incredibly terrible memory, I don't repeat buy something that I very much disliked. 

I am not doing this to dissuade anyone, these are my personal preferences and I just want to share what I thought. I really hate to be negative about ANY vegan or vegetarian product because good on them for making products that are meat and/or animal free! But at the same time, oh my- what... did I just eat. 

(I forgot to take a picture of the actual product before I put it down the garbage disposal- sorry!)


I got this tub of Heidi Ho cheese because it looked like nacho cheese... but it wasn't... like nacho cheese. At all. Purchased at Whole Foods for 5-7 bucks (I forget, and frankly it varies from location to location) with the hopes of topping my baked potatoes and tortilla chips with this bad boy but wow. I was both averse to flavor and texture. The flavor was bland, tasted like pureed vegetables, and I could pick up on a starchy texture as if it were made out of potatoes. The smell was off-putting too, like.. vegetable soup... I tried to make the best of it by mixing it with salsa and heating it (Like velveeta, ya know?) and I could barely choke it down. 

I love the idea of it, it's made out of vegetables, nuts and chia seeds and avoids being made out of a bunch of artificial funky products- the people on Shark Tank apparently loved it because that's how this company got it's start- but it's just not for me. Too gelatinous and vegetable-y. (Says the veggie eater, hah!) 

I have more vegan cheeses to try and report back on, but this one was a big, fat no for me! Luckily I have a fantastic nacho cheeze recipe that I can make (if I ever get around to cooking again, that is). 

On a positive note, I tried a new veggie burger that was being sold at Costco and it was SO FREAKING GOOD! The only downside is that it has egg whites in it, so it's vegetarian and not vegan. It tastes like Dr. Preager's California burgers, yummmm....



I took this picture from google pics because I got over-zealous with my recycling and pitched the box before I could take a picture of my own. 

As I was googling for an image of this, I kept seeing articles about Costco selling tons of VEGAN burgers and I just discovered that this same company sells a vegan burger at Costco as well!! Must have been in the freezer section, I'll have to give it a try next! In the meantime, these veggie burgers are flippen' delicious! 




LOOK AT ALL THE VEGGIES POPPIN' OUTTA THIS MOFO!!!!


Anyhoo, that's all from this Veggie Eater!







No comments:

Post a Comment

What'cha thinking?