Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Stocking My Pantry

I've been trying to find some blog entries of pantry lists to see what other people are stocking up on in the "Real Foodie Movement." That's not really what it's called, I'm just trying to be cool and start a trend... oh, me..

Many people have some great lists out there and I found them very inspiring. Lots of good ideas for what to have on hand in a pinch (and avoid excessive grocery shopping, blagh- Amazon anyone?). Alot of this stuff I already have on hand, and some I'm still trying to stock up on. Someday I dream of buying everything in bulk and eliminating my constant trips to the grocery store.. ahh someday.. 

Anyways, I wanted to make up a list of items I want/need on hand to work towards that goal, so here goes!

  • Dried beans (kept in small amounts, I don't tolerate legumes so well... Go to bulk bins at East End Food Co.) 
    • Cannellini
    • Kidney
    • Black Bean
    • Black Eyed Peas
    • Lentils 
  • Rice 
    • Brown Rice mostly (Costco or Whole Foods)
    • Basmati or Jasmine (Whole Foods)
    • Arborio (for risotto) (Whole Foods) 
  • Grains 
    • Quinoa (WF)
    • Barley (can buy 1 or 6 if ya really like barley!) 
    • Oats
  • Popcorn Kernels
  • Nuts/Seeds
  • Dried Fruit
    • Bananas (homemade)
    • Pears/Apples (homemade)
    • Craisins (Guilty pleasure..Costco has huge bags)
    • Prunes
    • Unsweeted coconut
  • Canned products - I'm trying to switch over to only home-canned items, so far I have:
    • Apple Pie Filling
    • Blackberry Jam
    • Strawberry Jam
    • Salsa
    • Corn Relish
    • Canned pears
    • Canned apples
    • Hot Mustard (Mom canned this- yum!)
    • Hot Pepper Rings (Mom again, double yum!) 
    • Apple Butter
    • Jalapeno Apple Jelly (Holy delicious heaven) 
    • Garlic Pepper Jelly 
    • Someday plan to also can marinara, tomato sauce, tomatoes, lots and lots of tomato things..oh and PICKLES. Pickled EVERYTHING!!! 
  • Wheat Berries/etc
  • Fats
  • Baking supplies 
  • Cheese Making supplies
  • Sweeteners
  • Vinegars
    • Distilled White (Costco)
    • Cider (Whole Foods) 
    • Balsamic (Whole Foods) 
  • Spices
    • Kosher salt (Costco) 
    • Smoked salt (Pgh Public Market) 
    • Peppercorns (Costco) 
    • Garlic (Costco) 
    • Cinnamon, Nutmeg, etc. I'm trying to build up this department (Costco) 
  • Coffee Beans (Costco)
  • Tea lots of tea
I also plan on having: Kefir grains, Kombucha SCOBY mushroom, and vinegar "mothers" so that I can make my own Kefir, Kombucha and vinegars- but those are all works in progress. 

The rest of my food is basically meats, fruits, vegetables, and dairy that I buy as needed.

Anything I missed? 



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good list.....maybe canned coconut milk. What do you think about coconut or almond flour? I've been reading a lot about teas having pesticides in them...best brands to purchase are Numi or Traditional Medicinals - I haven't looked for these in the stores yet probably have to buy on-line. Have also read that we shouldn't buy tomatoes in the can - only glass jars, I have yet to transition to that - not sure if I've seen them in the jar. Well it is definitely a slow process to transition to healthier forms of the foods we eat that are not genetically modified or filled with all kinds of pesticides or antibiotics. Again love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually should add coconut milk to my list- that's a good one to have on hand! I haven't actually used coconut or almond flour but I know they'd be different to bake with- I know almond flour is EXPENSIVE. You should be able to find Numi at Giant Eagle, it's pretty popular, but you won't be able to get it in bulk there I don't think. Maybe check on Amazon. There are also canned glass jars of tomatoes but they'll be more expensive, naturally. It IS a slow process but it's also kind of fun! :)

      Delete

What'cha thinking?