Friday, January 3, 2014

Peace, Love, and Doggie Boots



I always think that when I start blogging again, I'll have something incredibly enthralling or poignant to talk about, as if I've returned from some inspiring sabbatical. The truth is, that's what I feel that I'm truly lacking in life however, inspiration.


I spend so much of my time just simply going through the motions; wake up, go to work, come home, play on the computer, sleep. Rinse and repeat. I don't mind my job on most days, but I definitely would say that I work to live, not live to work.. at least not that kind of work. If I you asked me what I did in 2013, I unfortunately would have to say that I didn't do a whole lot. I remember going on vacation but other than that, I think I just worked alot- pretty pathetic huh?


I want to revert to a life of simplicity, detoxify my world and my surroundings, and take pride in creating things with my own hands instead of just lazily buying it. Who needs all those toxic, chemical-laden products when you can make it from scratch with natural ingredients? I've recently taken an interest in homesteading and have dabbled in some easier projects- and I have to say, I'm in love. I find it incredibly rewarding and I rejoice in the fruits of my labor, even better, it's helped me reconnect.


There's something incredibly soothing and peaceful about standing in a warm, quiet kitchen, up to your elbows in flour as you knead a loaf of bread dough. There's also something therapeutic and spiritual in walking around your back yard, watering thriving plants that you lovingly planted with your own two hands. It gives you a moment of quiet in an otherwise crazy and hectic world, a moment to be alone in your thoughts, meditate, or just "be". I'm hoping to have many, many more of those moments. I have to be realistic though, my yard is NOT conducive for having a gigantic garden and we get alot of shade. I also have zero room for something as grandiose as raising my own chickens or having a dairy cow, but maybe someday.. In the mean time, I can at least clean up my diet and choose the most natural, healthy options for meat, dairy, and eggs (plus LOTS of veggies!!).


My goals for 2014 include the following:

1) Successfully plant and raise all of my own herbs this summer
2) Join a CSA and buy our produce locally
3) Switch to pasture-raised, humanely raised, organic meats from local farms
4) Switch all household products from store-bought to homemade (ex. laundry detergent, face soap, shampoo)
5) Make all of our baked goods from scratch
6) Make most of our dairy products from scratch
7) Make a quilt

That sounds like a good place to start!


Oh.. and I almost forgot....





DOGGIE BOOTS!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What'cha thinking?