Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday Slummin'

Nothing much to report for a Thursday. We're short-staffed at work so I was busy today with my floor, rounds, and covering the outpatient clinic. I don't mind though, I'm glad it's kept me busy. Lately I've just wanted to get my work done and keep busy, the day goes faster that way.

For breakfast I had a delicious tofu scramble- the recipe is from a cookbook called "Vegan Brunch" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It's my favorite scramble because it's based on my favorite pasta dish, puttanesca- Yum!! I forgot to take a picture so I'll have to remember for tomorrow before I scarf it up! I also had a cup of coffee (Seattle's Best, level 4: my absolute favorite coffee) with some soy creamer and Splenda. I can't start the day without it.

I spoke to the funniest old man today, he's old school Italian and had the thickest accent ever- he was so animated and I was SHOCKED when I realized he was like 93 years old- I thought he was in his 70s! Goodness!

"I had-ah dee espresso with-ah some toast!!"

Well, adding an Italian accent into that sentence is hard...

For a mid-morning snack I had a Luna protein bar during rounds and then drank a bottle of water. I'm so proud of myself because I've been doing way better on drinking liquids so I did well there. For lunch I had a Caesar salad with vegan caesar dressing, croutons, onions, and some smoked eggplant.

So.... Freaking... Good....

I got the recipe for the caesar dressing and the eggplant from "Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes" another book by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (what can I say, she rocks..) which has some phenomenal low-cal vegan recipes.

After lunch I went down to the outpatient clinic and wasted an hour since no one showed up. I was able to go read through my favorite blogs though!!

After that, I thought I'd sabotage my healthy eating on the way to the bus stop with some yogurt covered pretzels which were so yummy but made my teeth hurt they were so sweet! Karma?


Bag's almost empty... oops...

When I got off the bus the sky looked super angry and like it was going to storm something fierce, so glad my hubby picked me up ASAP!

                                 

                                 
I tried for like 20 minutes to align these pictures and I just give up... I don't get it.. 


For dinner I was really, really craving my other favorite pasta dish- Thai drunken noodles. I was surprised by how effortless it was to veg-ify! And let me just say, for calorie reduction- shirataki noodles are a lifesaver. 

Mike had two bowls.. it was that good... 

Recipe

Ingredients:
2 14 oz pkgs of udon noodles or 4 pkgs spaghetti-style shirataki noodles
1/4 c. vegetable oil 
8-12 garlic cloves, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, chopped 
12 oz seitan, crumbled (or pulse in a food processor until it looks like ground chicken)
1/4 c. fish sauce (they make vegan fish sauce also, but I wanted to use up a bottle I already had)
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp. sugar
4 large plum tomatoes, diced
2 bell peppers (I prefer green but had to use up some yellow and red) 
1/2 c. basil leaves, chiffonaded (roll leaves up like a cigar and slice into strips)  

Directions:
Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, al dente. Drain. (Or pour shirataki noodles into a colander and rinse well, dry as best you can) 

Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and jalapenos, saute until garlic golden brown. Add seitan, fish sauce, soy sauce, water, and sugar, cook 5 minutes. Add noodles, tomatoes, peppers, and basil, cook until the tomatoes are just starting to break down and the peppers are tender crisp. 

ENJOY! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

What'cha thinking?